Whether you are an individual, group or company working in the creative sector, there are a number of organisations out there who can provide you with invaluable advice, support and training.
- Federation of Entertainment Unions - coordinated by the NUJ on behalf of the Writers Guild, Equity and the MU, FEU provide business skills training for the sector.
- Federation of Small Businesses - members get access to: 24/7 legal advice as well as links to key documentation, advice on tax and health & safety issues.
- Cultural Enterprise Office – Scotland’s specialist business support and development service for creative businesses and practitioners. Free advice available in person and via telephone.
- Equity - UK Trade Union representing artists from across the whole spectrum of arts and entertainment.
- BECTU – an independent trade union for those working in broadcasting, film, theatre, entertainment and interactive media.
- Musicians’ Union – represents over 30,000 musicians in the UK providing legal advice and negotiating on behalf of its members with major employers in the industry.
- Scottish Artists Union – representing visual and applied artists in Scotland.
- Scottish Society of Playwrights - organisation that represents, develops, and promotes the interests and craft of playwrights working within Scottish theatre.
- Society of Authors – help, advice and information for writers who have been offered a contract from a publisher, broadcaster or agent.
- Publishing Scotland – independent organisation looking after the interests of the publishing sector in Scotland. Looks after both publishing companies and individuals who work in the sector.
- Writers’ Guild - supports writers across media including books, film, online, radio, theatre, TV and videogames.
- PACT – UK trade association representing and promoting the commercial interests of independent feature film, television, digital, children's and animation media companies.
- Independent Cinema Office - The national organisation for the development and support of independent film exhibition in the UK.
- Cinema Exhibitors Association – represents the interests of around 90% of UK cinema operators. Provides help and support in dealing with legislation and regulation.
- Dance UK – membership organisation for dancers that aims to improve the conditions in which dance is created, performed and experienced.
- DACS – a not for profit rights management organistation providing rights management services for: Payback, Artist’s Resale Right and Copyright Licensing.
- Artquest - a first-stop-shop for visual artists and craftspeople for any arts-related legal information.
- Public Art Online – a useful resource for which covers all aspects of the commissioning process, including contracts and copyright.
- Intellectual Assets Centre - a centre to assist businesses in deriving value from their intellectual assets.
- Intellectual Property Office – can help you get the right type of protection for your creation or invention.
If you have any further suggestions for links that should be listed here please email webmaster[at]creativescotland.com.
Share This Page